In this inspiring, thought-provoking and demanding master class you will be confronted with your own preconceptions about safety, accountability and retribution. The master class will include discussions about the theory, application to well-known and lesser-known cases, and ample room for reflection on your own practice.
The Aviation Academy of the Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences is proud to present a master class on Human Factors and Safety with a special guest appearance on the closing day by Professor Sidney Dekker. In this inspiring, thought-provoking and demanding master class you will be confronted with your own preconceptions about safety, accountability and retribution.
During the four-day master class, multiple Human Factor and Safety related subjects will be discussed:
- The week commences with a discussion on the fallacy of “Human Error”. The term disguises real causes of adverse events and is a symptom over problems deeper in the organization. We introduce the concepts of Work-as-Imagined and Work-as-Done, resilience, Safety I and Safety II, and complexity. What do we mean by these terms, and how does it help us to better understand safety?
- We introduce heroes that strive for Safety Leadership, and discuss what it takes to become one.
- We then present the ten steps to achieve Safety Leadership: identifying exemptions between work as it is executed and the procedures, finding out what to do about them, and how to involve the shop floor.
- We explain how to protect the organization from drifting into failure. How does this happen to apparently safe systems? What can we do to prevent it?
- We discuss what to do if even after implementing all these suggestions something goes wrong. How to learn from incidents, and how to apply a Just Culture. We discuss that accountability does not necessarily imply sanctions and punishment. Rather, accountability means being able to 'tell the account' so that others can learn too, and the system can improve.
- During the last day, we welcome prof. Sidney Dekker who will answer any questions that have arisen over the course of the week. Together we will explore questions such as: What does this all mean for me and my business?